What are the Mellon Foundation’s disallowed expenditure categories?
Per the Mellon foundation’s guidelines, funding many not be used for the following purposes:
- Overhead or indirect costs beyond the 10 percent of project-related administrative and occupancy costs cited above, under “Allowed Expenditures.” Please note that colleges and universities are expected to make their own venues available to grantees for events related to the supported project at no cost.
- Capital and equipment costs, including computers, printers, etc.
- Undergraduate tuition or scholarships, financial aid, or study abroad opportunities
- Graduate student tuition
- Real estate
- Business class travel
- Projects grounded primarily in the quantitative social sciences or STEM fields
- Support for K-12 education
- Support for lobbying activities or other efforts to influence local, state, or federal legislation
- Influence over the outcome of any election for public office or to carry on any voter registration drive
- Subscriptions Maintenance contracts for software, etc.